An early goal from Drew Spence was enough for Chelsea to win the first leg of this Round of 32 UEFA Women’s Champions League match-up against German powerhouse Bayern Munich. It wasn’t exactly a dominant performance from the Chelsea Ladies, especially in the second half, but they defended well, rode their luck at times, and got several excellent saves from Lindahl to keep the clean sheet.
The second leg is next Wednesday, and Chelsea will have to play a bit better, one feels, to advance to the next round. Will probably need an away goal, too, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.
For now, well done, Chelsea!
- Both sides playing a sort of 3-4-3/5-4-1 hybrid that seems to be most fashionable these days.
- Excellent performance from Blundell and Spence on the right flank, as well as Millie Bright in the center-right of defence.
- Dunn & Aluko key subs late on to help relieve some of Bayern’s pressure, which at times was tremendous in the second half.
- Bayern win the corner battle roughly 23553 to 1. But it’s only the scoresheet that matters!
- Second leg next Wednesday. COME ON, CHELSEA!
Here’s Spence’s winning goal: