At the start of this week, Juventus manager Massimiliano Allegri gave the final word on the still percolating Chelsea rumors around his world class left back, Alex Sandro. “He will not leave”, said the Juve boss then, not changing his tune from the previous two months.
And unfortunately for Chelsea, nothing has happened since then to make Allegri rethink the situation. In fact, speaking after Saturday’s friendly against Spurs, he rated Chelsea’s chances at Alex Sandro a big fat zero.
Allegri also says Chelsea have "no chance" of signing Alex Sandro— Ed Aarons (@ed_aarons) August 5, 2017
On the back of a scintillating season for Juventus, Alex Sandro became one of Chelsea's main transfer targets for the summer as the Blues looked to reinforce one of the key positions in the squad. However, numerous reported attempts by Chelsea to reach an agreement for the 26-year-old were met by ever-increasing fee demands or outright rejections, while Sandro himself didn’t seem to be jumping at the chance to leave either. And then Leonardo Bonucci’s shocking transfer to AC Milan pretty much ruled out any more major departures from Juventus.
Allegri: "Alex Sandro? He's a Juventus player, and will remain as one. The chances of him joining Chelsea? No chance." pic.twitter.com/361yeTKzrd— Juvefc.com (@juvefcdotcom) August 5, 2017
Still, just as before, until Alex Sandro signs his new contract, the Chelsea rumors are sure to continue, often fueled by club sources directly.
P.S.: Conte was at the Spurs vs. Juve friendly as well, but reports that he was “scouting” or even watching specifically for Alex Sandro can be dismissed with just the tiniest inkling of common sense. Conte, who often likes to watch Juve just because of their shared history and his legendary status there, surely does not need to scout Alex Sandro at this point. The transfer isn’t being held up by concerns over whether the left back is good enough. It’s being held up because Juve don’t want to sell.