clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Santos want €20 million for their share of Chelsea midfield target - report

Lucas Uebel/Getty Images

The Brazilian national team has been one of the greatest let-downs of the Rio Olympics thus far. But despite the team's poor performance, Santos midfielder and Chelsea transfer target Thiago Maia has still been able to shine through.

While Maia seems content to stay at Santos, at least until next year, rumors continue to link him with a move overseas.  And according to Goal's Bruno Andrade, the Brazilian club want €20 million for their share of his transfer rights.  Santos own 70% of Maia's transfer rights, with the remaining 30% belonging to the player himself. Maia's release clause is listed at €50 million.

Most recently, it was reported that Santos president Modesto Roma travelled to London to hold talks over potential moves for Maia and Gabriel Barbosa, to whom Chelsea had also been linked for a short while.  (However, now it looks like it's Leicester City who are intent on adding 'Gabigol' to their squad, beating out offers from Juventus and Inter Milan.)

If Maia keeps up his good showings at the Olympics, it's likely that Chelsea will indeed make a purchase attempt.  One way to satisfy all parties would be to buy the 19-year-old's rights but have him stay on loan at Santos until the conclusion of the Brazilian season in December.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the We Ain't Got No History Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of Chelsea news from We Ain't Got No History