Jose Mourinho has been adamant that Chelsea wouldn't be buying a shiny new striker in January, but has made little secret of the fact that he'd like to see some new options in the squad for next season. One of those potential options is reportedly finalizing the details of his summer move today, with Robert Lewandowski taking his Bayern Munich medical in advance of a June move.
This is about the least surprising move in the history of transfers, as it's been clear for the better part of two years that the player was dreaming of Munich. I actually have an awful lot of the respect for the way the player has made this move happen, keeping quiet on the matter while seeing out his contract in a professional manner.
Lewandowski would have looked great in Blue, but it looks as if Chelsea will need to turn their attention elsewhere for someone to lead the line. The good news here is that Bayern will likely not be a competitor for any potential targets now, whoever those targets end up being.
- The Top 100 Goals of 2013 / Saturday FA Cup Open Thread
- Five-second Friday Fragments: Courtois & Barcelona, Marin & Galatasaray, Oscar & diving
- Ryan Bertrand fit again after mystery knee problem
- Tomas Kalas speaks about a potential loan, would like to stay close to home
- Mourinho comments on the De Bruyne situation, shoots down Higuain rumor