Chelsea have now officially announced their newest signing, 21-year old Mohamed Salah. Salah will join from FC Basel, where he managed to find the back of the net in three of his four appearances against Chelsea over the course of the past year. The newest Chelsea player will wear number 15.
Welcome to our new number 15, Mohamed Salah... http://t.co/PmzVaKOyE7 #CFC pic.twitter.com/U9OYNhoCaX— Chelsea FC (@chelseafc) January 26, 2014
Salah will be eligible to take part in all of Chelsea's domestic contests this season, but due to his participation in the Champions League with Basel, he won't get a winners medal this season if Chelsea return the European Cup to its rightful home in London.
The former Basel man will be remaining with the first team squad for the remainder of the season, and after the departures of Kevin De Bruyne and Juan Mata, he'll likely see a fair bit of use once the fixture list begins to get congested again. While Jose Mourinho referenced his versatility when asked about the move on Friday, more than likely, we'll see Salah deployed primarily on the right flank.
Regardless of what Chelsea fans are currently feeling about the recent roster moves, Mohamed Salah is now a Chelsea player. Here's hoping he makes us forget about Juan Mata and Kevin De Bruyne in short order.
- Uwe Rosler has a plan to fix Josh McEachran, who took a paycut to join Wigan
- Chelsea vs. Stoke City: FA Cup preview, television, streaming, squad news, and more
- Essien thanks Mourinho and Abramovich, while speaking about joining AC Milan
- Chelsea reportedly 'reached a verbal agreement' for Diego Costa, but should we take it seriously?
- The Traore Odyssey: Part 1