Several outlets are now reporting that Chelsea already have a potential replacement for Juan Mata in mind, with Goncalo Lopes going as far as to claim the Blues have already lodged a bid.
#cfc has already made an offer to buy Salah.
— Gonçalo Lopes (@_GoncaloLopes) January 22, 2014
Both Gianluca Di Marzio and The Metro are also reporting Chelsea interest, with Di Marzio claiming that the amount of the Chelsea offer is 10 million Euros plus potential escalators. The 21-year old has been attracting interest from a whole host of English clubs, with Liverpool reportedly being very high on the Egyptian winger.
Obviously, Salah on his own would be a massive downgrade from Mata. He'd be a nice depth piece though, assuming the Blues spent the rest of the Mata profit upgrading other areas of the squad. I suppose we now have another name to keep an eye on as the Mata scenario unfolds.
- Chelsea shouldn't rule out selling to domestic rivals, as long as it's best for Chelsea
- How should Chelsea spend the money they'd make from a Juan Mata transfer?
- Thorgan Hazard requests contract termination with Zulte Waregem
- Chelsea finally look like true contenders again
- Mind over Mata: Why we'll be ok if Chelsea sell (but not to Manchester United)