Having laid the biggest turd against Manchester United in El Sackico over the weekend, Tottenham Hotspur have parted ways with Nuno Espirito Santo this morning, sacking the former Wolves boss after just 4 months and 17 games (8 wins, 7 defeats) in charge. While Spurs are currently just one place below where they finished last season, the football’s been dour, to say the least, with little prospect of improvement. Only Norwich City have scored fewer than Spurs’ nine (9!) goals this season after ten rounds of games.
While the sacking was inevitable, Nuno’s replacement is surprisingly set to be none other than Antonio Conte, who rejected Spurs in the summer, but is apparently so bored that he said yes this time. The Don reportedly landed in Lon-don this morning and could be announced before the end of today, even.
While it still doesn’t make much “footballing sense” for Conte to join Spurs, even if he is more than just “another Mourinho”, he is only set to sign for 18 months (just like Tuchel did last year initially), so it’s perhaps a no-lose situation for either party.
Best case, Conte instills some winning mentality — which would be unfortunate for the rest of the league. Worst case, they just continue to Spurs it up — which would be as amusing as ever.
if it happens -- probably won't! -- the best explanation would be that Conte has a brain disease and just cannot deal with not managing a football club for any length of time and said fuck it ok I'll take that one— Michael Caley (@MC_of_A) October 31, 2021
It helps of course that former Juventus Director of Football, Fabio Paratici is pulling some strings now as well.
We’ll know soon enough!
Tottenham are now pushing to convince Antonio Conte as new manager to replace Nuno. He’s always been top of the list since June where there was no agreement with Spurs board. ⚪️ #THFC— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) November 1, 2021
Tottenham director Paratici is working to find an agreement with Conte as priority. pic.twitter.com/PSDrbh754b