Shades of our 2011-12 Champions League campaign will be called upon here not just due to the draw, which sets Chelsea against either Napoli or Barcelona in a potential quarterfinal meeting in the Lisbon mini-tournament next month, but also because the Blues will need another “miracle” in Munich to overcome Bayern’s 3-0 lead in the competition’s round of 16 to make it to the quarterfinal.
Good thing we are familiar with these struggles!
The winners of quarterfinal no.3 will face the winners of quarterfinal no.1 in one of the semifinals, which will be decided by round of 16 second leg battles with Real Madrid versus Manchester City (1-2 in the first leg) on one side, and Lyon versus Juventus (1-0 in the first leg) on the other. The other semifinal will put RB Leipzig or Atlético Madrid versus Atalanta or Paris Saint-Germain to fight for a spot in the final match.
The full quarterfinal draw is as follows:
1. Real Madrid (Spain) / Manchester City (England) vs Lyon (France) / Juventus (Italy)
2. RB Leipzig (Germany) vs Atlético Madrid (Spain)
3. Napoli (Italy) / Barcelona (Spain) vs Chelsea (England) / Bayern Munich (Germany)
4. Atalanta (Italy) vs Paris Saint-Germain (France)
And the full semifinal draw:
1. Winner quarterfinal 1 vs winner quarterfinal 3
2. Winner quarterfinal 2 vs winner quarterfinal 4
The final will be held at Estádio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica on August 23.