Chelsea started very poorly and the
half fully asleep Blues could’ve been behind three after just five minutes. But after missing a handful of good chances and turning down their intensity, Leicester let Chelsea back into the game.
It was a much more even game after the drinks break, with Christian Pulisic forcing a tremendous save from Kasper Schmeichel and Chelsea surviving a couple set pieces at the other end. Leicester’s speed over the top was always a constant danger on the counter, as Chelsea bent but were somehow not broken.
Lampard made a triple-change at half-time, and Chelsea improved markedly. Abraham had the ball in the back of the net 15 minutes later, but was rightly ruled out for offside. Chelsea kept up the positive momentum and eventually found the opener just before the second drinks break, with two of the three substitutes combining.
Chelsea were unable to add to the advantage — at one point wasting a FOUR-v-two counter, but we survived Leicester’s attempts to counter as well as their dangerous set pieces.
Into the semifinals and to Wembley we go!
The draw will be later today. Manchester United and Arsenal are in it as well, plus the winner of Newcastle vs. Manchester City, which starts shortly.
- Anyone know an available set-piece coach we could hire?
- Lampard with the half-rotation of the starting lineup, which didn’t really work, then strong moves at the half-time break, which did.
- Abraham, James, Gilmour, Zouma, Emerson, Caballero get their first starts of the Restart.
- Gilmour, James, and Mount off at the half for Kovacic, Azpilicueta, and Barkley. RLC for Pulisic and Pedro for Willian completed the changes. Lampard uses all five changes for the first time.
- 4th goal this season for Barkley, all in Cup games (3 in the FA Cup).
- 7th assist for Willian in all competitions. He now has 60 goals and 60 assists in his Chelsea career.
- Three wins from three since the Restart.
- Next up: West Ham at home in the league on Wednesday