It was not the best of starts for Chelsea, with the visitors in Sheffield United already threatening our defence with dangerous crosses only a couple of minutes after kickoff. Though the Blues almost responded with a goal via Ben Chilwell, it was Sheffield who got the early lead with David McGoldrick.
Despite the goal, Chelsea would keep their spirits up and running towards the goal. They were rewarded with a proper goal from Tammy Abraham, after a cross-pass from Mateo Kovacic in the box to feed him the chance to make it 1-1 for the Blues.
Soon the game would turn in Chelsea’s favour. The barrage of chances would continue, and the Blues would not waste all of them as they would do in previous seasons. And then came the second goal for the hosts, courtesy of Hakim Ziyech’s amazing delivery to Ben Chilwell making a far-post run to complete the cross and turn around the scoreline in the Blues’ favour.
In the second half Chelsea continued dominating. A third goal came through via Ziyech’s second assist of the night, feeding Thiago Silva his first ever goal as a Blue. And then it was time for striker Timo Werner to add his name to the scoreboard, after being denied twice by the post.
- Only one change made from the starting lineup that faced French team Rennes in the Champions League last Wednesday, with Mateo Kovacic in place of Jorginho.
- Substitutes are Jorginho for Kovacic and Olivier Giroud for Timo Werner.
- Of course Mendy’s clean sheet streak would be broken by David McGoldrick. Why is football so predictable sometimes?
- Ziyech is our new magician.
- Next up: Newcastle United for the Premier League two weeks from now, once the international break is over.