A sunny, goal-filled up tempo exercise saw plenty of action, plenty of quality, and plenty of issues to work on, as Chelsea did their best to replicate that hilarious Madrid “friendly” derby from the other day. In the end, we didn’t quite get to 7-3, but it wasn’t for a lack of trying.
So, another preseason match in the books, with all 22 players getting a runout. Next up will be RB Salzburg on Wednesday. Before then, maybe a bit of extra set piece training?
Caballero (c) | Alonso, Tomori, Christensen, Zappacosta | Bakayoko, Drinkwater | Pulisic, Barkley, Kenedy | Giroud
- Started very poorly, but slowly grew into the game.
- Bakayoko-Drinkwater pivot not impressive; midfield far too open. Drinky with a few good switches.
- Kenedy not really involved outside of the goal.
- Pulisic looking to link up with Giroud, Barkley.
- Barkley, preseason god.
- Tomori making a case.
Caballero (Cumming) | Emerson, Zouma, David Luiz, Azpilicueta (c) | Kovačić, Jorginho, Pedro, Mount | Batshuayi, Abraham
- Started poorly, but quality eventually pays off.
- A few too many giveaways in dangerous areas.
- Defense very shaky.
- Mason Mount, here there everywhere in the midfield diamond
- Kovacic control in midfield, Jorginho grafting — again showing well
- Tammy-Michy still not quite finding that link-up play