Dominant Chelsea made short work of Dynamo Kiev tonight, settling the tie with an early away goal from Olivier Giroud, who’d go on to complete his hat-trick, with a long-overdue Marcos Alonso goal sandwiched in-between. Hudson-Odoi then struck as well, like clockwork, to complete the trouncing.
After the early strike, it was always going to be a question of just how many Chelsea want and how much the players want to push forward. A fair amount, it turns out. Having way too much fun out there.
So, 5-0 on the night, 8-0 on aggregate. Could’ve had more in the first leg, too. Rarely close, this tie.
- Great mix of youth and experience from Sarri’s lineup, with Loftus-Cheek and Hudson-Odoi both getting starts.
- Kovacic plays a rare full 90, first as the regista, then the right-sided midfielder after Kante off just past the hour-mark.
- Giroud into double digits for the season with 10 goals, 9 of which have come in the Europa League
- Hudson-Odoi has now scored in three straight Europa League matches
- Hopefully Zappacosta’s knee knock isn’t anything too problematic. Nice to have a backup for Azpilicueta.
- The draw for the quarterfinal bracket (so the route to the final will be set) is tomorrow, Friday, March 15.
- Next up: Everton away, then the two-week international break