Excellent response from Chelsea to the midweek humiliation at Bournemouth, giving a decent boost to the goal differential, getting Higuaín off the mark, and, at least temporarily (though it’s unlikely that Arsenal beat City tomorrow, let alone by five goals), rising back into the top four.
Beating the worst team in the league — and one of the worst to ever play a Premier League season — is a minimum expectation, certainly, but it still has to be done. Job certainly done today.
Now, a week to rest and recover (Rüdiger knee a concern) and re-learn a few things before the massive showdown next weekend against Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium.
- Sarri with just a few changes to the starting lineup, but it works today.
- Hudson-Odoi, Loftus-Cheek and Kovačić with minutes off the bench.
- A brace each for Hazard and Higuaín. Both could’ve had a hat-trick, easily.
- Clean sheet! 11th of the season.
- Rüdiger’s knee injury a small concern at the moment though he was “fit” enough for the bench.