Whatever Chelsea needed today, this was not it.
Defenders and goalkeeper exposed by a non-existent and shapeless midfield.
A midfield that relies on the best defensive midfielder in the world for attacking impetus.
An attack that needs Hazard’s inconsistent magic to have any hope of scoring.
A team with seemingly no idea how to attack effectively or defend safely or even take a decent set piece (free kick or corner) or work as a team instead of separate units. Any chance of a comeback after conceding the first goal? Don’t make us laugh.
A coach with one plan and one plan only, and that down to his substitutions, even.
A fanbase that evidently has had enough.
- “First-choice” lineup, with Kovačić and Pedro getting the nods in the two positions that aren’t nailed on.
- Standard subs of Willian for Pedro, Barkley for Kovacic.
- Third change of Zappacosta for Azpi, which may have made sense but just rubbed salt in the wounds.
- How much longer will Sarri get? Bruce Buck looking glum in the posh seats.
- Next up: Second leg against Malmö on Thursday, then the League Cup final on Sunday. We’ll probably win one of those, so we’ve got that going for us at least.