I have no idea what just happened.
Here’s a list of things witnessed over the past 90+(not quite enough added on in either half) minutes.
- An own goal from Tammy Abraham inside of 2 minutes
- Pulisic winning a penalty and Jorginho converting inside of 5 minutes
- Abraham scoring from a Kovacic through ball, ruled out correctly for offside
- Ajax scoring a carbon copy of the goal they had gotten ruled out in the first leg, this time marginally onside
- An own goal from Kepa after a Ziyech free-kick-from-right-by-the-corner-flag Olimpico hits the inside of the post, rebounds back onto the goalkeeper’s face, and into the net
- Ajax having the better of play in the first half (winning it 3-1); having almost none of the play in the second half (losing it 1-3), and yet taking more shots with 9 men than with 11.
- Alonso getting axed at the half for Reece James, with Azpilicueta moving to left back
- Zouma going on a Maradona-esque, 70-yard run and almost scoring the goal of the season
- Ajax scoring a sucker punch 4th goal on the counter, making it 4-1
- Chelsea getting one back through Azpilicueta, which looked offside (but apparently wasn’t)
- Mason Mount picking up an ankle injury
- Blind getting sent off for a second yellow
- Veltman getting sent off for a second yellow seconds later, and giving away a penalty in the process
- Jorginho converting again, making it 4-3
- James getting a goal, making it 4-4
- Azpilicueta goal ruled out by VAR because Jorginho’s shot hit Abraham’s hand that was down by his side (that most stupid Champions League rule)
- Onana pulling off a world class save on Batshuayi, with only 4 minutes added on
- Chelsea somehow not finding a winning goal at the end.
Would’ve taken it at 4-1. Bit disappointed to have to settle for it at the end.
Still, what an extraordinary game! One for the ages.
top second in the Champions League group and in control of our destiny. HUGE away game against Valencia next time.