An awful start by Chelsea gave us flashbacks of their dreadful performance against Tottenham last November, where a trip to Wembley ended in a 3-1 loss to the Blues. 15 minutes in, Arsenal confirmed our fears with a goal by Alexandre Lacazette after several chances missed by the hosts at the Emirates to open the scoreline.
The goal could have been the wake up call Chelsea needed to get back in the match. After being completely dominated by Arsenal in the initial minutes, the Blues started to turn things around, and attempted to exploit their opponent's porous defence.
Arsenal, however, were still getting the better share of chances in front of the goal. They added a second just before halftime in a set-piece scramble inside our box.
In the second half, Chelsea had more of the ball to work themselves into more attacking opportunities. But there was always an obstacle — be it blocks, goalposts or our own attacking problems — in our way to the goal.
Not our day today.
• Eden Hazard retains his place as Chelsea's no.9 until we confirm Gonzalo Higuaín's arrival at the Bridge.
• No start for CHO as Willian and Pedro's, rewarded by their excellent performances against Newcastle, get the starting nod today.
• Subs are Ross Barkley for Mateo Kovacic; Olivier Giroud for Willian and Callum Hudson-Odoi for Pedro.
• Next up: Tottenham at the Bridge for the League Cup semifinal second leg.
• KTBFFH, and remember to be excellent to each other.