Chelsea dominated the first half and scored early, but were unable to add to it through repeated chances for Alvaro Morata as well as a glorious 1-v-1 for Pedro. The pattern continued in the second half, with the yellow-shirted Blues creating plenty of chances but not able to find the required finish. Morata did have the ball in the back of the net, but was harshly called offside.
PAOK, as teams tend to do, steadily gained confidence from surviving the repeated Chelsea attacking waves, but Chelsea kept steady possession and saw out the game.
A good start to our Europa League campaign, but Pedro’s potential injury puts a damper on proceedings.
- Five changes from the weekend, with Christensen (for David Luiz), Zappacosta (for Azpilicueta), Barkley (for Kovacic), Morata (for Giroud), and Willian (for Hazard) getting the start.
- Fabregas returns from injury, replacing Jorginho in the center on 65 minutes.
- Willian started as captain; Azpilicueta took over the armband when he came on for Alonso. Azpi played left back for the final 25 minutes.
- Giroud for Morata completed Sarri’s set of changes.
- In the other game, BATE beat Videoton in Hungary, 2-0.
- Next up: West Ham United on Sunday, away
PLAYER RATINGS (click here if the form below is broken or covered up):