Chelsea lose. More pertinently, there’s lots to work on, to say the least, that’s for sure.
As throughout the rest of preseason, Chelsea showed a couple halfway promising signs, but that was hardly enough against our prior opposition, let alone against the runaway champions from the last season. We’re perhaps lucky to have lost only 2-0.
City were fresher, more motivated, more confident, more coherent and certainly more accurate with their play. There was only ever going to be one winner in this, which is unfortunate, but it is just a friendly. A friendly with a plate.
Chelsea have now played in 8 of the last 13 Community Shields, but have won just 2. This is clearly not our “competition”.
- Chelsea’s wide open, slow, static midfield remains the biggest worry.
- Chelsea’s lack of a coordinated press is a close second. The space between the lines is far too easy to exploit, especially with the aforementioned static midfield and the back four backing off.
- Unused Chelsea subs: Bułka, Christensen, Zappacosta
- There will be better days and more important occasions. Such as next Saturday against Huddersfield Town in the opening match of the new season
- Next up: Lyon at the Bridge in a friendly on Tuesday. Presumably we’ll see all the other players who didn’t start/play today.