Chelsea stay perfect on the season, three wins from three to keep the early pace. Chelsea rise to second in the table after Manchester City dropped two points at Wolverhampton.
Despite 80 per cent possession, it took Chelsea almost 80 minutes to find the breakthrough. When it came, it was through a bit of a counter, with an Alonso underlap making the difference and winning the foul inside the area. Hazard made no mistake.
But just a few minutes later, Newcastle were back on level terms through Joselu, as a foul went uncalled and we stopped playing.
And just a few minutes later, Alonso scored (Yedlin own goal, probably) to get Chelsea the win! GET IN!
- Two changes from the lineups of the first two weekends: Hazard and Kovačić making their first starts of the season (and for Kovačić, his Chelsea career)
- Like-for-like subs in Giroud (Morata), Willian (Pedro), and Barkley (Kovačić)
- Chelsea come close to setting a new Premier League record for possession percentage, held by Manchester City. Chelsea finished with 81%, the record is 83%.
- Chelsea are the second highest scoring team in the division with 8 goals through 3 games.
- Chelsea’s first win at St James’ since 2011!
- Next up: Bournemouth at home on Saturday.