Chelsea have yet to score more than 1 goal in any of our three preseason matches so far, but the promise is there and if and when we do put it all together (and get the rest of the missing players back from their post-World Cup vacations), this could indeed be a ton of fun.
As it is, the fun comes in stops and spurts, but it is just preseason. Winning is a habit however, and it’s never a bad time to practice that. And it was looking decent enough until Lacazette equalized with practically the last kick of the game.
Arsenal won the penalty kick shootout that immediately followed, 6-5. Oh well.
- A few changes to the starting lineup today from Sarri, with Azpilicueta, Rudiger, and Willy Caballero getting the nod ahead of Zappacosta, Ampadu, and Bulka, respectively.
- Half-time saw introductions for Drinkwater (for Fabregas) and Christensen (for David Luiz)
- On the hour-mark, five more subs: CAPTAIN Moses (for Pedro), Zappacosta (for Azpilicueta), Abraham (for Morata), Emerson (for Alonso), Ampadu (for Rudiger)
- Three more changes on 78minutes: RLC(!!) (for Barkley), Bakayoko (for Jorginho), Bulka (for Caballero). Bulka with a stunning save just a few minutes later and then another good one just before Lacazette’s equalizer at the death.
- Last change: Piazon for Hudson-Odoi for the final 5 minutes
- Callum Hudson-Odoi is fun times. Morata should’ve had a hat-trick just based off chances (and one penalty) created by the 17-year-old.
- Morata’s finishing woes continue.
- Pedro & Barkley getting in each other’s way indicative that this is all very much just a work in progress.
- Rudiger dominant on corners; had one, should’ve had at least two
- Kante badly needed to shore up some of the massive gaps that regularly appear in the midfield ... but he can’t play all the time.
- Full backs (Alonso, Azpilicueta, then Zappacosta, Emerson) have massive responsibilities in defending wide attacks in this system. Easily exposed with overlaps...
- Chelsea penalties: Drinkwater (good), Abraham (good), Moses (good), Emerson (good), Piazon (good), Loftus-Cheek (saved)
- Arsenal penalties: Lacazette (good), Nelson (good), Guendouzi (good), Maitland-Niles (good), Ozil (good), Iwobi (good)
- Next up: Manchester City on Sunday in the Community Shield!