The official Chelsea website is in the process of a long-overdue facelift — you can check it out for yourself at beta.chelseafc.com — and while I think it’s going just a bit too far in the direction of favoring design over content and usability, it’s still a work in progress and thus could yet improve. Errors may also creep in more often than normal while it’s being worked on, though the old site wasn’t exactly infallible in that aspect either (such as the case of “Romelu Zouma” after the previous facelift).
Take Willian’s player page, which has him listed with the no.19 shirt instead of his usual no.22 that he’s worn since arriving at Chelsea. Is Willian changing his shirt? Probably not...
tfw when you're contemplating going for tens of thousands of cheap clicks with a story about a typo on the Chelsea website pic.twitter.com/j6rvEu8Hmn— Dávid Pásztor (@D_Peezy) May 18, 2018
But what if it’s trying to tell us something? What if when you load the first-team players page and Willian’s profile page, the no.19 associated with Chelsea’s no.22 is a sign? Of what? WHO KNOWS. It could be anything!
- It’s nothing.
- It’s just a typo.
- It’s in honor of Brazil’s impending World Cup victory.
- It’s just a typo on a website.
- The person in charge of the page was confused by Willian’s Brazil shirt (in the picture at the bottom of the page). Willian has worn no.19 for Brazil in all 54 of his appearances.
- It’s just a typo on a beta website.
- José “Mr. Mou-bot” Mourinho was bored in his hotel room
- It’s just a typo on a beta website created by a (third-party?) web design team.
- He’s trolling Conte with Diego’s old number.
- It’s just a typo on a beta website created by a (third-party?) web design team and even when the site is officially official, squad numbers can be incorrect
- Manchester United transfer confirmed. Sorry, Marcus Rashford.
- Christian Pulisic (no.22 at Borussia Dortmund) confirmed. Thanks, Willian!
- It’s just a typo on a beta website created by a (third-party?) web design team and even when the site is officially official, squad numbers can be incorrect and they don’t really mean much without official confirmation (unlike, say, squad numbers for printing in the online megastore).
- He thought he’d throw us a bone with an easy, silly, clicky post, but then I got bored of the concept and it wasn’t ever going to be all that funny anyway either.
Now watch Willian change his shirt number to 19 (and the beta site, which won’t be in production for a while yet, just jumped the gun).