Not quite as stellar an effort from Chelsea in the second half as in the first, but then again, it didn’t have to be. Still, at least Chelsea kept the clean sheet even if we didn’t add to the 4-0 lead. Willian, Drinkwater did almost score (Willian even hit the post) while Caballero saved a penalty at the other end.
Chelsea advance to the FA Cup quarterfinals, with the draw coming up tomorrow after most of the rest of the games have been played and the match scheduled for the weekend of March 17 — Chelsea’s match away to Burnley currently scheduled for that Saturday will be moved to some future date.
Excellent warm-up then for Barcelona on Tuesday.
- Giroud (1g, 2a), Willian (2g), Pedro (1g), Fabregas (1a), Emerson (1a) all on the scoreboard today. Willian probably should’ve had a hat-trick, but one too many touches gave the defender a chance to block the shot.
- Nice to see Hudson-Odoi get all of the second-half to show off his wares.
- Kyle Scott Chelsea debut! Certainly not afraid of a tackle, despite his mild mannerisms. 737rd player to play for Chelsea (per @ChelseaChadder), and the 3rd American (after Wegerle & Miazga). U-S-A! U-S-A!
- Morata plays the final 20 for Giroud, probably as a pre-planned move since Conte talked about getting Morata some minutes in order to build his fitness back up.
- Hull’s penalty came from a corner that should’ve never been a corner (won by a player who was clearly offside but not called). So what’s the point of a VAR again? Maybe we should make sure to get obvious calls right before we worry about re-judging judgement calls.
- Next up: Barcelona, Champions League, Round of 16, first leg on Tuesday
Post-match review + Q&A + Barcelona preview coming your way later this weekend, probably at some point on Saturday.