After the absolute silliness of the first-half, which saw Chelsea lead by the odd goal in five thanks to a brace of Own Goals from the visitors, the second-half a bit more measured affair.
Chelsea controlled proceedings for large swathes of the match, but there were also plenty of uncharacteristic errors in possession, with weak and inaccurate passing, poor movement, and even poorer decisions creeping into play. Turnovers in the first two lines were especially scary and costly.
Well played Derby County. Chelsea advance!
- Congrats on your first Chelsea goal, Fikayo Tomori!
- Very nice assist from Mason Mount for Derby’s second
- Chelsea lineup mostly second-string, but Kante and Willian both start, as well as Morata due to Giroud’s absence. Loftus-Cheek deployed as a right winger.
- Sarri’s changes forced to take on conservative/veteran flavor thanks to the narrow scoreline, with David Luiz, Pedro, and Azpilicueta coming on for Christensen, Loftus-Cheek, and Zappacosta.
- Chelsea lucky in the end to avoid penalties, with Nugent hitting the post.
- Next up: Crystal Palace at home on Sunday