A seriously silly and open game ends all even, though we possibly should’ve had at least five times as many goals than the four total, including many, many more for Chelsea, who missed a litany of clear cut chances.
It took an Eden Hazard penalty to finally breach Petr Cech’s goal, after the Chelsea man beat Bellerin to the ball and got a kick to the bottom of his foot for his troubles. With both teams pressing for a winner, it was Chelsea who managed to find a finish first, with Alonso slamming home after some great work by Zappacosta on the right wing. And then Bellerin scored. And then Morata missed to complete his latest hat-trick of missed 1v1s, and then Zappacosta hit the bar and then it was just stupid.
We're all dumber for having witnessed whatever that just was. pic.twitter.com/pDdHtG10EQ— Dávid Pásztor (@D_Peezy) January 3, 2018
And of course these two go at it this time next week again, this time in the League Cup semifinal first leg at the Bridge.
- Petr Cech has not saved a penalty since Munich. That’s shocking.
- Chelsea opt for the big-game 3-5-2, though it failed to control Ozil for large parts of the game, especially in the first-half.
- Zappacosta, Drinkwater, Willian the Chelsea subs.
- Chelsea remain third, one point behind Manchester United.
- Next up: Norwich City on Saturday as we shift gears to the FA Cup. Then Arsenal again.
Due to prior commitments, the post-match review isn’t going to happen until a bit later. Probably around 8-9am GMT.