Up two at half-time, Chelsea easily saw out the rest of this FA Cup fourth round tie against visiting Newcastle United. Marcos Alonso netted a free
throw kick to put Chelsea three up, which had the benefit of completely settling the tie and allowed Conte to make a couple fun subs, including giving a debut to young no.70, Callum Hudson-Odoi — the highest shirt number worn in a competitive match in Chelsea history.
Three goals and a well-earned, easy win to maybe settle some of the silly drama going around the club these days. A perfect Sunday.
- Batshuayi’s poachers brace gives him 10 goals on the season, in limited appearances which will inflate his minutes-to-goals ratio. Hazard instrumental in setting up both, making good on his claim that Chelsea don’t need another striker this January.
- Clean sheet for Big Willy, always good to see.
- Hopefully Rüdiger will be okay after that clash of heads at the very end of the game.
- Chelsea finish the game with TWO 17-year-olds on the pitch in Ampadu and Hudson-Odoi.
- Christian Atsu finally makes his Stamford Bridge debut ... for Newcastle United.
- Draw for the FA Cup 5th round will be tomorrow night (Monday), with matches to be played the weekend of February 17 (just before Chelsea’s trip to Barcelona for the Champions League Round of 16 first leg).
- Next up: Bournemouth at home, under the Wednesday night lights.