Brighton certainly made a game of it in the second half, backed by their boisterous crowd of 30k and the odd seagull cruising above the action, but Chelsea hung tough and made the early lead count all the way to the end.
Twinkle-toes Hazard’s second goal, Chelsea’s third, in the 77th minute made sure of the points. Then Moses made it look even nicer; a long overdue goal bonanza for the Blues.
Three Four goals, three points, third place (at least until Monday).
- Chelsea back in 3-4-3, Batshuayi starting for just the third time in the PL this season. Chelsea had lost both of his previous starts.
- Christensen subbed off with a suspected concussion. Questions about protocol once again. David Luiz plays in the Premier League for the first time since October.
- Brighton’s Schelotto a nuisance once again, just like in the first game. Tactical sub to bring on Zappacosta to put fresh legs on him late in the second half.
- Nice to see Charly Musonda get 10 minutes, even if it came at the expense of a Barkley debut. Charly with the pass of the game, too, for Chelsea’s fourth goal, Moses’s first in the league this season.
- Next up for Chelsea: Arsenal in the second leg of the League Cup semifinal on Wednesday