Chelsea were played off the park for the first 30 minutes and while it was a more even contest after that, the Blues were only not able to get all three goals back. Bayern meanwhile missed several gilt-edged opportunities of their own (James Rodriguez especially), and so the game finished 3-2 to the Champions of Germany, with Chelsea improving through the match.
Results of course don’t really matter in pre-season, but just as it’s much nicer to win, it’s not nearly as nice to lose. Still, the individual and collective performances, especially for those first 30 minutes will be far more concerning than anything seen on the scoreboard.
- Welcome, Álvaro Morata. They say he’s 6’2”; he looks like he’s 7’2” with a bit of skill on him to be sure. Notable that he and Batshuayi were on together in a de-facto 3-5-2 or a highly lopsided 3-4-3 (Willian still played wide).
- Batshuayi scores his 5th of the pre-season.
- Victor Moses plays final 15 minutes as left wing-back after Alonso ran himself into the ground. Tomori once again the backup right wing-back.
- David Luiz making a big impact off the bench.
- Willian, Kanté, Moses, Azpilicueta, Cahill play whole 90.
- Next up: Inter Milan on Saturday, the final official pre-season match.