Chelsea were a level above Arsenal today in terms of intensity, preparation, commitment, and execution today, and it showed in the scoreline. A brace from Batshuayi and a goal from Willian sees Chelsea leave Beijing with a 3-0 win.
It’s just a friendly, which we always say after every pre-season match win or lose, but it’s certainly nicer to win than to lose, especially when it’s done in such a nice manner as Chelsea produced today.
- Hopefully Pedro’s not too worse for the wear after becoming the latest victim of an Ospina punch-out. A concussion wouldn’t be surprising.
- Pedro’s replacement, young Jeremie Boga started poorly but really grew into the game and impressed with his skill and movement. Needs a couple better decisions, but that’s youth.
- Courtois and Caballero each got 45 minutes. Courtois had one save to make, which he did.
- Willian and Batshuayi both have 4 goals in pre-season already. Batshuayi should have 5 after his first today was erroneously ruled out. Overall, rather terrible refereeing in fact, but despite Arsenal’s hacking and cynical challenges, Chelsea played very well and it didn’t matter in the end.
- Eventually, Conte changed all 11 players, with the fully rotated lineup reading as: Caballero | Clarke-Salter, Christensen, Kalas | Kenedy, Scott, Pašalić, Tomori | Boga, Rémy (c), Baker
- Chelsea off to Singapore to meet up with Rüdiger and Morata and play Bayern Munich on Tuesday.