A bizarre opening when Sunderland scored (!?) to take the lead was consigned to the pages of trivia with goals from Willian and Eden Hazard and Pedro and Michy Batshuayi (twice!) as Chelsea set a new Premier League record with 30 wins on the season.
The 93 points with which the Blues finish the season is the second highest in league history. Not bad for Antonio Conte’s first season.
Now, on to the FA Cup final!
- Willian scores his 12th goal of the season in all competitions, a new career high
- Hazard with his 16th in the league (left foot power foot), adding to his Chelsea career high
- Pedro completes the trifecta with this 13th of the season
- Batshuayi now has four goals in his last three games. Finishing the season strong. Hope for the future?
- Azpilicueta completes his ironman achievement, having played in every single minute of every single Premier League game this season
- Conte completes his No Subs Left Behind achievement, having used every single one of his subs in every single match this season.
- Courtois already had the Golden Gloves sewn up. Both he and Lloris conceded on the final day, so Courtois wins it outright with 16 clean sheets on the season.
- John Terry’s 26th minute sub was his own idea, as per the BBC.
- Let’s not overanalyze/over-interpret Costa’s waving to the crowd, shall we? Yeah, it’s probably too late for that request.
- Next up: FA Cup final on Saturday vs. Arsenal at Wembley. They will be without Laurent Koscielny who got himself sent off today. LOL.