After the back-n-forth of the first half, the second was all Chelsea, with the winner coming from an unlikely source in N’Golo Kante. With any luck, it could’ve been a lot more — lost count of the number of close calls in front of De Gea’s goal — but a win’s a win, and in the end all that matters.
Onto the semifinals. Wembley, here we come!
- Kante has two goals for Chelsea, both against United. We play them again in April, if you want to mark your calendars for N’Golo’s third golo.
- United lucky to finish this game with 10 men, let alone 11. For all his complaining about Hazard getting fouled over the past few years, Mourinho set his team out to do just that.
- The usual switch to the 3-5-2 didn’t happen until the 80th minute. Zouma the first defensive sub in the last couple minutes after Moses picked up a knock.
- The draw for the semifinal round is coming up shortly. One of Manchester City, Arsenal, and Spurs await. Tough matchups, either way.
- Next up: Stoke City away on Saturday, then it’s a two-week international break.
Due to other commitments, this won’t happen until tomorrow. Will have another almost-live/not-live tomorrow.