Chelsea were looking comfortable but couldn’t quite add to the slim 1-0 half-time lead.
With the visitors never quite out of it, their period of ascendancy that arrived after bringing on the likes of Austin and Boufal resulted in several nervous moments and close calls, including one very nice save from Courtois on Austin.
Chelsea’s subs were impactful as well however, with Cesc Fàbregas especially lively and coming literally within inches of scoring.
- Chelsea’s reference-less 3-4-3 doesn’t quite work as wonderfully as on Tuesday, but it’s certainly an option. Cesc, Morata off the bench, with a more controlled 3-5-2-ish look certainly wonderful options.
- Zappacosta a straight swap for Moses for Conte’s third sub.
- Willian in the wars today, twice staying down with knocks before finishing the game.
- Marcos Alonso adds to his league-leading (among defenders over the past 18 months) goals total. Earns his fifth yellow smartly as well, time-wasting at the end.
- Forster with a truckload of saves otherwise.
- Next up: Bournemouth on Wednesday in the League Cup quarterfinal