With a minimum of fuss or muss, Chelsea saw out the second-half of this Champions League clash against Qarabag, getting the three points needed to guarantee a place in the Last 16. Whether that will be as group champions or runners-up will depend on how Roma do against Atleti tonight and on the final matchday when Chelsea host Atleti at Stamford Bridge.
Qarabag went down to 10 men inside of 20 minutes and there was only ever going to be one winner from then on. Up two at the half, Fabregas added a third from Chelsea’s second penalty with the Blues then proceeding to miss a litany of chances to keep the score just at 3-0. Willian walloped one in towards the end to make it a nice even 10 goals scored against Qarabag/d for Chelsea over the two games.
- Chelsea went back to the 3-4-3 with Morata (mostly) rested and Batshuayi injured, playing three attacking midfielders in a fluid front three. Morata did come on for the final 25 minutes, replacing Hazard.
- A goal and an assist for Hazard; two goals and two penalties won for Willian. Hazard has now equaled Eidur Gudjohnsen on 78 career goals for Chelsea.
- Alonso getting a much-needed rest with first substitution on 58 minutes — Azpilicueta moving to left wing-back, Cahill to LCB and Rudiger switching to RCB.
- Drinkwater for Kante the final sub, getting him a bit of much-needed rest as well.
- Next up: Liverpool away on Saturday
This will come at you later tonight (or tomorrow morning, depending on your time zone). Follow us on Facebook so that you don’t miss it. There will be a test later.