A solid first-half was followed by a slightly less solid second, but Chelsea held on to the win and thus advance to the quarterfinals of the League Cup for the first time since winning it all in 2014-15.
Willian put the icing on the cake with a really nice second goal, then Everton scored, and then it was almost exciting. But then it wasn’t.
- Rudiger’s first goal for the club gets better with each re-watch. Perfect cross from Musonda (who otherwise was far from perfect) and a perfect looping, Ivanovic-esque header from Rudiger (who also had a few shaky moments at the other end).
- Everton, in the image of their interim manager, brought plenty of physicality and not much subtlety. A bit stronger refereeing may have been useful.
- Drinkwater lasts 60 minutes on his Chelsea debut, back finally from injury.
- Ethan Ampadu goes the full 90 on his full debut at 17 years of age.
- Bit of an injury scare for Batshuayi, but hopefully nothing more than a bruised shin
- Chelsea continue to cultivate our fine tradition of foul throws.
- The draw for the quarterfinals is tomorrow.
- Next up: AFC Bournemouth away on Saturday
Post-match not live coming at you tomorrow morning (9am-ish BST)
Canceled on account of technical, logistical issues.