Chelsea lacked the usual second half improvement, but held strong through Hull's period of ascendancy before a Cahill header 10 minutes from time, from a perfect Fàbregas free kick delivery, made sure of the points.
Thus ends a wonderful weekend that has seen all rivals other than Arsenal drop points. Chelsea are now 8 points clear at the top of the pile after 22 games played and 16 to go.
- Chelsea came into the weekend with a 7 point lead, leave with an 8 point lead. Crucial cushion heading into the back-to-back games against Liverpool and Arsenal.
- Hull started in a 3-5-2 but did better in a 4-4-2. Chelsea started in the 3-4-3, then as usual went to the 3-5-2 for the final 20 minutes with Fabregas in the middle and Willian playing off of Costa.
- Diego Costa's 15th goal of the season puts him back level with Alexis Sanchez for the Premier League lead. Denied a 16th by a tremendous save late on by Jakupovic.
- Captain Cahill's 3rd goal of the season, the most he's ever scored in the league for Chelsea in a season.
- Another clean sheet, with a couple decent saves from Courtois on long-range efforts.
- Next up: FA Cup weekend, with a West London Derby against Brentford. Then the big ones, with Liverpool away and Arsenal at the Bridge.