Chelsea didn't play too badly in the first half, but upped their game considerably in the second half anyway and got their proper reward through an Azpilicueta (!!) equalizer. Despite several gilt-edged chances, particularly from Diego Costa, Chelsea were unable to find a winner in regulation, but then a Cesc double in the first few minutes of extra-time settled the tie.
Chelsea thus advance to the fourth round of the League Cup, the draw for which will be held at the conclusion of tomorrow's matches.
- Chelsea fall behind 2-0 for the second straight game and give up two goals for the third time in four games. There's no doubt we can score goals (18 in 7 now), but the defense needs to cut down on the ridiculous mistakes.
- A sub before the 70th minute!
- Nathaniel Chalobah made his long-awaited Chelsea debut (six years after first making the bench in this same round of the League Cup in 2010) as Conte switched from the 424 to a 4141 for the final 10 minutes of regulation and extra-time.
- Confirming the obvious, but David Luiz's passing is a fantastic addition to Chelsea's tactics.
- Diego Costa great impact from the bench. Had several excellent chances to win it; got Wasilewski sent off. Involved in both extra-time goals, as was Eden Hazard.
- Next up, an important trip across town to Arsenal in the league