Chelsea wasted several great chances (Costa, Oscar) before Werder pulled one back with another fantastic long-range shot. Chelsea then wasted several more great chances, then survived a few scares, scored another one through Pedro, and then preseason was done.
And so Chelsea finish preseason with a 4-2 win.
- The starting lineup may have been very familiar (other than Kanté instead of Fàbregas, it was basically the 2014-15 league-winning lineup), but for the first time all preseason, Conte used almost all of his subs, including the backup goalkeeper!
- Gary Cahill and Branislav Ivanovic completed the full 90. John Terry was withdrawn with a little over 10 minutes to go after getting clattered in the penalty area and getting a hip to the head/neck. Michael Hector came on for the captain.
- Ola Aina played a bit of left back today, but did not start. Cuadrado and Traoré (and third goalkeeper Blackman) were the only players to not see any action from the 23-man traveling squad.
- Positives: Oscar, Hazard, Kanté
- Negatives: Pedro (despite his goal), defense
- Conte says his favorite words are "fight" and "work" but it might actually be UP UP UP UP UP UP.
- Next up: the real deal, West Ham at the Bridge on Monday for the start of the Premier League.