Chelsea have increased the number of nominees for their official Goal of the Season award vote to 12 (from the usual 10), and yet they still managed to NOT include André Schürrle's goal against Burnley! This is, frankly, outrageous and weird. It won goal of the month on BBC's Match of the Day! Even Mourinho called it out specifically not that long ago when asked about his favorite moments of the season! What in the world is going on around here?!
Of course I call it Schürrle's goal because the now dearly departed Chelsea fan (and occasionally effective player) provided the finishing touch. But it was as much, if not more, Cesc Fàbregas's goal ... and Ivanovic's (the cross) ... and Hazard's (the initial burst/run) ... and Costa's (occupying 2-3 defenders). It was an amazing team goal. I adore* team goals.
Anyway, that's not to say the official nominees are bad goals. They're not just not as great as that Schürrle goal because that Schürrle goal is greater great. It's greatness wrapped in greatness, served with a side of greatness, while an angelic choir sings a note of greatness and we all watch and stare in amazement because holy wow it's greatness taken Earthly form.
The other twelve
losers nominees are:
- Diego Costa v. Arsenal, Stamford Bride, October 10 (Cesc long ball, Costa chip)
- Oscar v. Crystal Palace, Selhurst Park, October 18 (right-footed free kick from the "wrong" side into the far corner)
- Cesc Fàbregas v. Crystal Palace, Selhurts Park, October 18 (amazing team move, this one, too)
- Oscar v. QPR, Stamford Bridge, November 1 (ridiculous outside of the boot finish)
- Filipe Luis v. Derby County, Pride Park, December 16 (free kick)
- Diego Costa v. West Ham, Stamford Bridge, December 26 (Costa jukes three and scores with his left)
- Eden Hazard v. Southampton, St. Mary's, December 28 ("typical" Hazard goal, repeatedly cutting in from the left)
- Diego Costa v. Newcastle, Stamford Bridge, January 10 (Oscar backheel assist)
- Branislav Ivanović v. Aston Villa, Villa Park, February 7 (left-footed half-volley)
- Eden Hazard v. Hull City, KC Stadium, March 22 (dribbles two then blasts home from 20 yards)
- Eden Hazard v. Manchester United, Stamford Bridge (another Oscar backheel assist)
- Ramires v. Leicester City, King Power Stadium (left-footed blast from the top of the box)
So head on over to Chelsea official to cast your (write-in) vote. Then come back and tell us in the poll below which one you voted for. (While you're on that official voting page, you might as well vote Eden Hazard for Player of the Year as well.)
* Last year, I voted for Hazard's goal against Newcastle while the year before my pick was the Mata goal against Spurs. The actual winners were Lewis Baker's goal and (of course) Oscar's goal against Juventus, respectively.