After everything that's been going on off the pitch this week, all I wanted was a comfortable Chelsea victory to kick my weekend off. Unfortunately, that didn't happen, and Chelsea dropped two huge points with a 1-1 draw at home.
The Blues probably would have had that comfortable win with a competent referee, but Martin Atkinson was anything but, missing a pair of obvious first half penalties and letting far too many physical fouls go. Atkinson wasn't the only one at fault for letting Burnley hang around, as Chelsea were their typical wasteful selves in front of goal for most of the match. They also have nobody to blame but themselves for going down to ten men, even if Burnley should have had a man sent off along with Nemanja Matic.
Here are a few thoughts on today's match:
- Burnley are absolutely terrible. This game should have been well over before they even produced a half chance, and did nothing at all before Matic was sent off. It's absolutely laughable that they left Stamford Bridge with a point today.
- How predictable is Tony Gale? Less than 90 seconds passed when he was praising Sean Dyche for his use of two strikers, even if it probably wasn't the best decision he could have made.
- Juan Cuadrado looks like he's got a very nice understanding with Eden Hazard already. As he gets a little more time with the Chelsea first team, I really think he'll be fun to watch.
- Costa looked better than he did on Tuesday, but still looked a bit rusty in this one. Hopefully we'll see him at his best next Sunday.
- Nemanja Matic's red card was well deserved, as there's no excuse for reacting that way. That said, Ashley Barnes should have been off as well, as that challenge was certainly worthy of a straight red, and Matic was very lucky not to be injured.