The perfect preseason record is gone and Chelsea managed to look distinctly second best, especially in the second half. Then again, with the most senior member of the attacking front four being sixth choice Mohamed Salah, perhaps it's not that unsurprising that we almost failed to score today. Though both Patrick Bamford and Isaiah Brown both came very close in the first half.
And then, JEREMIE BOGA!
Chelsea will be back in action this weekend, on Sunday in Slovenia. Hopefully that goes a bit better. Until then, a few initial thoughts.
- None of Chelsea's latest World Cup returnees were involved. New boy Filipe Luis was and showed a few glimpses of why we were so keen on signing him, including several nice tackles and interceptions and some good looking crosses from the left. A left back who crosses? What is this sorcery!?
- Disappointing performance from Mohamed Salah, who tired and drifted out of the game completely in the second half. He did have a decent chance in the first half and combined well enough with a mostly impressive Lewis Baker and Patrick Bamford.
- Marco van Ginkel continues to show no ill effects of his ACL injury.
- Petr Cech looks extra motivated.
- Kurt Zouma looks fun and physical, if perhaps not quite ready. A few distinctly rough minutes in the second half, which culminated in losing the flight of the ball on WAC's goal.
- JEREMIE BOGA!