The results themselves hardly ever matter in preseason friendlies, but a win is a win and 5-0 win is even better. Though Wycombe were often quite poor, especially in the second half once Chelsea started introducing some of the more senior members of the squad.
A few initial thoughts then on Chelsea's first preseason match of 2014-15:
- Chelsea's goals came from Patrick Bamford (Ake left wing cross assist), Isaiah Brown (Dasilva left wing cutback assist), John Terry (Boga corner assist), Branislav Ivanovic (Boga free kick assist), and Isaiah Brown again (Solanke layoff/Wycombe poor clearance assist). Even Jose cracked a tiny smile at Brown's peach of a second.
- Chelsea first half lineup: Schwarzer | Ake, Christensen, Chalobah, Kane | Romeu, Van Ginkel | Piazon, Baker, Swift | Bamford.
- Chelsea second half lineup: Schwarzer | Dasilva, Terry, Zouma, Ivanovic | Romeu, Matic | Brown, Boga, Salah | Solanke
- Todd Kane seemed to tweak his groin in the first half unfortunately. Kurt Zouma came on in his stead, but right back is probably not the happiest future position for Happy.
- Romeu played 70 minutes - most for any starter. Zouma's total time on the pitch probably exceeded that by a few minutes.
- Young Jordan Houghton and substitute goalkeeper Mitchell Beeney got a few minutes in the second half as well.
- Wycombe's physicality was an issue for our young defense in the first half. Not so much an issue with JT, Bane, Zouma, Matic back there in the second half. Surprise!
- Matic, Van Ginkel were both excellent. Matic loves that ball over the top and can execute it over both short and long distances.
- Bamford, Brown took their chances well. Boga was having fun out there.
- Chelsea football is back!