Although Jose Mourinho is insisting that he expects Ashley Cole to return to Chelsea this season, it's been looking increasingly as though the left back is set to leave the club. After a teary-eyed lap of honour at Stamford Bridge last weekend, Cole was handed the captaincy for the final day of the year, and after the 2-1 triumph at Cardiff, he tweeted out a message to the fans:
I really don't know if this is final, and I hope it isn't, but if so -- what a pleasure it was to watch the finest left back of his generation (possibly any generation!) work for so long in Chelsea blue. Cole at his pomp will remain the golden standard for fullbacks, not just for this club but for all the others too. No matter what happens, it's been a privilege.
- Jose Mourinho expects Fernando Torres to stay at Chelsea for next season
- Cardiff City 1 - 2 Chelsea: Initial Reaction & Community Player Ratings
- Tomas Kalas and the future at center back
- Chelsea's Lucas Piazon won't be returning to Vitesse next season
- Mourinho: Hazard, Oscar and Matic 'are the guys for the next 10 years'