Chelsea were heavy underdogs when they traveled to Manchester on Monday, but after 90 minutes of action, one was left wondering why. Chelsea took maximum points with a 1-0 victory, but probably should have won by quite a bit more.
While most pundits were criticizing Chelsea for parking the bus before the game kicked off, they had to give up on that narrative before the half. Chelsea's counterattack cut the Manchester City defense to shreds, and probably should have had three or four goals before the break.
It was more of the same as the second half got underway, with Chelsea going close on more than one occasion. A second goal eluded them though, and with about 10 minutes left Jose Mourinho finally warmed up the bus. Oscar came on for Samuel Eto'o, while John Obi Mikel and Demba Ba came on in stoppage time. Just like that, Chelsea are level on points with City.
- Despite my reservations with using David Luiz in the midfield from the beginning of a match, the overall enormousness of the squad today had me smiling about it anyway. Imagine what that could look like next season with Romelu Lukaku leading the line...
- Petr Cech spent the opening moments of the game doing his best David Luiz impersonation. I have no idea what he was thinking, roaming around outside the 18-yard box without a prayer of getting the ball.
- Someday, Chelsea will learn to finish golden opportunities. Had we done so today, this game would have been over at the break.
- I'm still not 100% sure if Chelsea opened the game in a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1. That's largely due to Ramires not really playing strictly as a midfielder or a winger, instead playing as more of a hybrid of the two. As the second half kicked off, he looked to have settled on the right flank.
- Has there ever been a side that takes as many awful throws as Chelsea? It's been years since we've even looked competent in that regard.
- How good a signing is Nemanja Matic looking like right now? It's only been a few games, but it's been a long time since we had a central midfielder look so dominant in all facets of the game. If only that missile off the post had stayed a few inches to the left.
- Mike Dean probably should have flashed red when Nastasic pulled down Oscar in the 87th minute. No harm, no foul though...right?
- Lazio have an option to make the Gael Kakuta loan permanent, according to reports
- Chelsea's 30 loanees are more than twice that of any other Premier League club, save for Manchester United
- Who could Jose Mourinho be targeting to lead the line at Chelsea?
- The Daily Hilario: One down, one to go
- Courtois will leave Atletico for Chelsea at the end of the season, according to his father