Chelsea spurned several good chances in the first half, and spent much of the second half doing just the same.
Even John Obi Mikel got in the act, missing a wide-open header on a set piece. Not a minute later, Papiss Cissé put the Blues to the sword. Then Eden Hazard hit the post and not a minute later, that man again Papiss Cissé put the Blues to the sword and consigned Chelsea to our first defeat of the season.
There was late drama as Steven Taylor got sent off for his third ridiculous challenge and Didier Drogba grabbed a quick goal but Chelsea failed to get a second.
A few thoughts:
- There were several lovely passages of play from us in the first 30 minutes, but most of our shots were still from range rather than from inside the box as has been the case earlier in the season. And most importantly, they didn't make the goalkeeper work - a theme that would be ever-present during the game: 23 shots, only 8 on target (and it was 3 of 18 before our goal).
- Outside of those 30 minutes and the first 10 or so minutes of the second half, Chelsea were often aimless and purposeless. Once Mourinho started throwing players on, we looked even more discombobulated in whatever formation (4-2-4?) we were playing. Lots of pumping of the ball into the box, but not enough attacking of the ball in the box. The motivation was back after Drogba's goal and it was much better but it just wasn't meant to be.
- Six minutes of stoppage time? José Time!
- Good effort by Mikel in deputizing for Matic. Filipe Luis looking good in attack off the bench as well.
- Gary Cahill, please sort yourself out.
- Probably Diego Costa's worst game for Chelsea. Also, please stop overdribbling.
- Fàbregas's yellow card means he'll miss out against Hull City.
- After getting resigned to a defeat, Chelsea raised my hopes of getting a result. It's the hope that kills ya, every time.
- And so all the streaks come to an end. Time to start new ones.