Things that happened in this game:
- Credit to Sunderland: they were magnificent. They took exactly what Chelsea gave them, almost never overcommitting and keeping their shape very well. Although this side did get battered by Southampton, they're actually a very decent defensive side, and they showed it here. And not only that: when we started trying to chase they were the ones making the best use of that space. The Black Cats would have been deserved winners had that taken advantage of their late superiority.
- We had a weak game. We ended up getting baited into a bunch of nonsensical long-range shots and never seriously threatened Costel Pantilimon. This will happen, even if it sucks.
- Kevin Friend had a bad game, but we didn't deserve anything anyway, Sure, the yellow card that saw Diego Costa pick up a suspension (he'll serve it midweek against Tottenham Hotspur) was nonsense, but he probably should have picked up a booking for something completely different in the first half, so enh. As for the holding in the box ... nobody gives that, even if they should.
- This was one of those matches in which we needed Eden Hazard to step up and destroy some defenders. He didn't. Bad Eden.
- I prefer scoring goals to not scoring goals.