A hilarious exercise in how to play lower league level football on this here rainy, windy, soggy Tuesday night near Wales. Fortunately, Chelsea came out on top, mostly thanks to an excellent start to the second half. Salah and Schurrle swapped wings, created a bit of width (finally!) and found Drogba for a first-time finish. There was some fun as we flubbed our lines on a set piece once again, but Willian & Drogba came to the rescue again, though our winner will probably go down as an own goal.
The end. Into the League Cup quarterfinals we go. A few other thoughts:
- That's three goals in three matches for our third-choice striker. He might be nowhere near the complete striker anymore, but Drogba can still produce. Which is great for us, as the backup to the backup.
- Andreas Christensen was solid as an emergency right back. Kurt Zouma was ok, but really needs to figure out his headers. Nathan Ake was generally good, especially in the second half - he was one of our better players in the first half, but was bordering on rashness with his rush of blood to the head (which resulted in a booking for a retaliatory tackle) and several instances of poor positioning.
- Not the best game for Schurrle -- anybody check if his controls are reversed? -- and what he was thinking when he decided to square the ball instead of heading into the mostly open net we may never know. Salah looked bright for most of the game when he was in, but his shooting was extra hilarious.
- Willian: instant impact. Great cross into the DANGER ZONE. Flashing lights and all.
- Oscar was here, there, everywhere as usual. Filipe Luis involved quite a bit as well.
- Mourinho brought on Hazard for the final 30 seconds just to troll us all. Eden continues his streak of appearing in every single game so far this season.
- Unbeaten on the season. Top of the league and having a laugh. I love football.