A decidedly more low-key second half than the first, as Chelsea basically* put the game to bed five minutes after the restart. A truly stunning passing move was finished off by Cesc Fabregas for his Premier League goal in Chelsea colors. It was a markedly improved performance from the ex-Arsenal man after a fairly quiet first half (well, quiet in terms of football; less so in terms of getting involved in a bust-up with Fraizer Campbell, for which both men could've and possibly should've gotten a red).
* Until the last few minutes because of Campbell's goal. Still, it finished fairly comfortably.
A few other initial thoughts:
- Cesar Azpilicueta is most likely to be suspended for 3 matches, which means that he will be back for our trip to Anfield. Fantastic opportunity for Filipe Luis to get a run and see a youngster give Ivanovic a rest in the League Cup game against Shrewsbury.
- Wonder of either Fabregas of Campbell will face any post-match discipline from the FA for their bust-up?
- Unlucky for Willian to have to make way because of Azpilicueta's red card. Alongside Hazard and Oscar, the attacking band was having a very good go of it.
- Loïc Rémy did fine deputising for Costa. A different type of player, obviously, but had several good hold-up plays and has got some sweet moves and turns to go along with a burst of pace. Useful.
- Gary Cahill had a terrible game, but he did flash the one undeniable talent he does have: spectacular last ditch tackles.
- Dominic Solan.... awww. Nope. Because we conceded in the 90th, Didier Drogba was brought on to help see out the final few minutes. Safety first, I suppose.
- Not too concerned about the last-minute consolation goal for Palace; more concerned about how we seemed to lose our heads towards the end of the first half. That could've gotten ugly (err... uglier).
- Manchester City spanked Spurs in the early game, but Chelsea maintain the five-point gap with the win. Chelsea also have as many points (22) as Arsenal & Spurs (11 each) combined. Top of the table and having a laugh!