While there was very little doubt that Kenneth Omeruo would be joining Middlesbrough on loan, the loan hadn't been made official until Chelsea confirmed it today:
"Kenneth Omeruo has today (Tuesday) joined Middlesbrough on loan for the remainder of the season. Omeruo, 20, can operate as a central-defender or right-back and spent the early part of this season training with the first team squad having returned from a loan spell at ADO Den Haag in the Netherlands."
Omeruo will likely walk directly into the Boro starting lineup, and will now have the opportunity to see regular minutes ahead of this summer's World Cup.
Chelsea's center back depth chart should have several openings in the next several seasons, so there should be chances for several young center backs to earn a place. Here's hoping the loan goes well for all parties involved, and that Omeruo impresses enough to be ready for an even bigger challenge next season.
- So much demand; we're going to need more Demba Bas!
- Rare as the milk of queens, Mikel's goal earns him man of the match honors
- The idea that Chelsea will loan Juan Mata anywhere is laughable
- Multiple teams interested in Ryan Bertrand, according to reports
- Chelsea vs. West Ham United, U21 Premier League Cup: Open Thread