It's always nice when new signings come with endorsements. Mohamed Salah has some pretty big (one might be inclined to say impossibly big) shoes to fill, coming in as a replacement for Juan Mata after a fairly heartbreaking transfer, but at least he's arriving at Chelsea as the reigning King of All Switzerland. Or something. Already the player of the season for 2012/13, the former Basel man was given two more accolades on Monday.
- Best player in Switzerland, 2013
- Most popular player in Switzerland, 2013
So that's pretty good going. Salah's also managed to earn a seal of approval from none other than ferocious Serbian man-bear Branislav Ivanovic, who went so far as to compare the 21-year-old to a former Chelsea star:
He is a great player, very quick, and goes forward with the ball. These are the kind of players we need to improve our team.
He reminds me of Robben, the way he plays going from the right wing but going inside left-footed. I hope he is going to be important for us.
Source: Sky Sports.
With Nemanja Matic making a very strong first impression with Blues supporters after receiving his full debut against Stoke City, it's up to Salah to do the same when he manages to link up with the squad. And given all of the endorsements he's receiving, it looks like he has the ability to do just that.
- Chelsea scout Marseille starlet - report
- In transition: Why Matic matters to Chelsea
- The Daily Hilario: Old comforts, new paradigms, Matchweek 23
- Man of the match Oscar, Hazard, and Mat...ic lead Chelsea's domination over Stoke City
- Bayern told by Chelsea to 'name the price' for Toni Kroos, according to reports