As part of their agreement with Qatar Sports Investments, Barcelona have apparently agreed to play a friendly every year in Qatar. This news really shouldn't be of too much concern to Chelsea fans, except that the Spanish club would reportedly like their opponent to be the Blues.
A friendly against Barca in the offseason could be fun, but this ridiculous contest is set to be played in February. Likely due to the climate in Qatar, a summer contest just isn't an option.
I can't begin to state just what an awful idea this would be, as Chelsea already have a crowded fixture list to contend with anyway. Adding an absolutely meaningless game and the added risk of injury for a few million pounds seems asinine, far more so than anything I can ever remember this club doing.
I really can't stress how strongly I hope that Chelsea tell Barca they want nothing to do with this, as the monetary reward from this venture just doesn't outweigh the negatives. Playing mid-season friendlies might make sense for clubs with a winter break or a relatively light fixture list, but neither of those apply to Chelsea.
- Traore joins Vitesse, Hutchinson and Kakuta recalled
- Reports indicate Bertrand Traore is joining Vitesse on loan
- Kevin De Bruyne would prefer a permanent move, according to his agent
- Report: Wolfsburg met with Chelsea about Kevin De Bruyne
- Mourinho sets the record straight on Oscar and Mata in-match incidents