The Blues managed an excellent three points today against Liverpool, but had two players go off with injury in the process. After the game, Jose Mourinho gave us a quick update on both.
Mourinho reports Lampard has a muscular injury and will miss some matches. Ivanovic's injury is painful but not serious. #CFC— Chelsea FC (@chelseafc) December 29, 2013
So it looks as if Branislav Ivanovic will be ok, while Frank Lampard will be missing some time. That probably means we'll be seeing more of David Luiz in the midfield, as well as a fair share of John Obi Mikel and Michael Essien. Jose can probably afford to take his time with Ivanovic, as using a pairing of Ashley Cole and Cesar Azpilicueta for the next several matches should work out just fine.
The fixture list in January really shouldn't be a big problem, as going out of the League Cup has left Chelsea with several open dates. There's also a strong likelihood of reinforcement arriving shortly, though I'd doubt any injury to either player forces the club to do something rash.
Here's hoping that Lampard is back in relatively short order, as he's been looking very good when he's getting regular rest. I'd expect a Ramires/John Obi Mikel pivot against Southampton though, with Michael Essien occupying a spot on the Chelsea bench.
- Chelsea 2 - Liverpool 1: Initial reaction and community rating form
- Spin the transfer rumor bottle: Diego Costa for Courtois swap?
- Chelsea vs. Liverpool: Squad News, TV & Streaming Information, Preview
- Nigerian coach knows Kenneth Omeruo will be heading out on loan 'soon'
- Balotelli's agent claims that the player wants to leave AC Milan